Kimchi creates natural healthy probiotics while it is fermented.
Many types of vegetable can be turned into ‘Kimchi’ such as radish, cucumber and spring onion but the most common vegetable used is Chinese Leaves (Napa Cabbage).
Fermentation creates a great healthy benefit especially for your gut and immune system as well as a wonderful pungent flavour that gives Kimchi a unique taste when mixed with all ingredients such as garlic, chilli pepper and spring onions.
NOTE: Store below 5 °C. Use Kimchi DIY Kit within 5 days of delivery.
INSTRUCTIONS (cook time: 3 HOURS / serves 5-6)
For brining the Chinese leave:-
- Cut Chinese leave into half and remove the bottom stem part.
- Cut into inch bite size.
- Brine cut Chines leave with salt in a large bowl for 2 hours. While it is brined, Chinese leave will be softened.
- Rinse brined Chinese leave thoroughly with fresh cold water and drain in for about half an hour.
- Make chili paste during the drainage.
For making the chilli paste sauce:-
- Mix glutinous rice powder with 10ml cold water then add 25ml boiling water to it.
- Then add salt, sugar, 300ml cold water, and chili powder in order.
- And chop the garlic finely and cut spring onion into small pieces and cut mooli to julienne shape and add this to 2.
- Mix the paste thoroughly. Mix prepared Chinese leave and the paste well.
- IMPORTANT – 400g of brined Chinese leave is mixed with 125g of chilli paste. To make a delicious Kimchi, please follow the right proportion as stated above. (Another example: 800g of brined Chinese leave is mixed with 250g of chilli paste)
- Put the batch in air-tight container (ideally) and leave it at room temperature for 3-4 days to ferment.
- Once it is fermented, keep in fridge.